Re: Status on NVidia Support In NetBSD?

On Monday 18 January 2010 00:43:16 David Chanters wrote:

> So... what, if any, are the alternatives, guys?  The "nv" driver just
> isn't cutting it.
>
> I currently have this card:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72 [GeForce
> 7300 SE/7200 GS] (rev a1)

I assume you're running some sort of i386 platform.
I have the following card/driver combination in my xorg.conf and I don't seem
to have any issues with performance on NetBSD-5.0.1 i386, though I don't use
any 3D applications.

Identifier  "Card0"
Driver      "nv"
VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName    "NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"

You mention that you used nv driver under Linux and it had poor performance.
Have you actually used it under NetBSD?

> Oh, and please assume that I would be running modular xorg from pkgsrc
> in your replies --- quite why we even *have* XFree86 as part of base
> is beyond me!

The latest stable NetBSD iso for i386 and many other platforms should have
Xorg, unless you're doing something wrong.