Re: NetBSD macros

Am 22.12.2009 um 21:12 schrieb Thor Lancelot Simon:

Oh, horsepuckey. Choosing not to use a feature present in a standard does not mean that one is "breaking" said standard. Furthermore, one should note that getaddrinfo() has been present in the various BSD systems for
considerably longer than it's been mentioned in any POSIX standard,
more so with regard to any standard said BSD systems have claimed to
conform to.

Well, it's new to me that BSD has getaddrinfo() longer than it has been in POSIX. And Christos' message seems to support that.

You seem quite resentful that Greg actually has the repository of
historical knowledge tucked away in his head that allows him to write
portable code with a bare minimum of feature or version tests.

Portable does not mean "works on all BSDs and Linux". And I highly doubt that he knows _ALL_ unix systems out there, even those that don't exist today and still need to be invented.

So the only thing left that'll always work is to test for features. Checking for operating systems and their versions is just wrong.

--
Jonathan