Re: NetBSD macros

At Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:02:41 +0100, Jonathan Schleifer
<js%webkeks.org@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: NetBSD macros

> Am 14.12.2009 um 20:43 schrieb Greg A. Woods:
>
> > I wasn't referring to __NetBSD__ alone -- I would include
> > <sys/param.h>'s __NetBSD_Version__ as well of course.
>
> So you'd already have:
>
> #ifdef __NetBSD__
> #include <sys/param.h>
> #if __NetBSD_Version__ ?ôó¦
> ?ôó¦
> #else
> ?ôó¦
> #endif
>
> Ok, now you covered NetBSD. Now you have to do the same for:

No, actually you don't, usually -- and that's my point.  You only use
the system-specific identification macros for system-specific features,
i.e. those features found _only_ on one(1) type of system.

If the feature is found on multiple types of systems, but not all, and
for some reason you must still use it, then you should identify it by a
unique identifier and find some other way to enable that identifier,
other than messing about with system-specific identifiers.

As I said:

> > Neither should be used blindly either of course -- it's horrid to see
> > long trails of "#if defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__FreeBSD__) ||
> > defined(__OpenBSD__) || defined(__DragonFly__) || defined(__Darwin__)"
> > (with the only missing one being __Linux__ or whatever!)
>
> Although this is already long, it's wrong as it does not check versions.

Irrelevant!  :-)  Don't do that in the first place if possible!  :-)

(However, BTW, often the version checking is irrelevant because the
feature is, for this example say, a common BSD feature that was found in
the original code from which all the various modern variants have been
derived -- a wee bit of history goes a long way!)

Also, all that said, I'd rather see a few snarly #ifdef lines in one
header file that can sort out a few necessary conflicting features than
to have to use Autoconf.

> Can you please elaborate? While I agree that most configure.ac files
> are too big because they are written by people who don't know what
> they're doing, you can to very much in autoconf with very little code.

Most configure.ac files are large and result in huge scripts with many
tests because if you truly wish to use Autoconf properly to make your
code as ultra-portable as possible then you really must include a very
large number of tests (and also all the necessary #ifdef's in your
code), even for quite simple programs.

I.e. they often do know what they're doing -- it's just futile to do it
sometimes.

That's the problem with doing feature tests and relying on them solely
to keep your code portable.

I do agree that some people do write too many feature tests, but unless
you're able to go out and re-test the program on every platform it has
already been tested on, it's sometimes really difficult to prove that
any given feature test can be safely removed.  Not always, but
sometimes!

> For the time consuming part, I couldn't disagree more: It's much more
> time consuming to write a check yourself when it's just a single line
> in autoconf. If you were reffering to the time needed to run the
> generated configure script, this is again because many write stupid
> configure.ac files that check for stuff they don't even need.

The right way to do things is to write code that's portable in the first
place.  Don't ever make use of _any_ system-specific features unless
absolutely necessary!  Use template header files to adapt to the few
features which often do vary between systems.

There are of course classes of programs which must make use of features
which are not standardised sufficiently and thus they must have
alternate implementations to supplement systems without, etc.

Writing good portable code does require one to be a good historian of
the relevant systems and standards, and also to know when supporting a
given system, or class of systems, or even a standard, has become
irrelevant.

I suppose a first-time programmer who knows little beyond the system he
or she is initially working with, can achieve some degree of portability
of their early code by simply following the Autoconf guide and/or book.
However even that can come later -- if they simply write good clean code
that works properly on the one system they have access to, but which is
as much as possible written to use the _standard_ APIs that their system
happens to support (POSIX, ISO C, etc.), then any issues with porting to
another system can be addressed at a later time, perhaps with the help
of someone more experienced in porting code.  I.e. I would not recommend
one try to make one's first big/largish program portable by immediately
starting with the likes of GNU Autoconf!

> There's nothing wrong with doing the checks again, as the system can
> have changed. If it would cache it, how would it know the system
> changed?

The point is that the system does not (usually) change!  Every test that
you do twice or more is a waste of resources.

IFF the system does change, eg. you upgrade to a new version, and IFF
the system's APIs have changed incompatibly, then you need to throw away
the cache and start fresh.  You know when you've changed the system, so
you know how to manage your cache file!

Ideally Autoconf would come with a standard boiler-plate configure.ac
file which could be run once on a target system to generate a cache for
all standard tests.

> This is why abstraction was invented - and as most GUI applications
> use Qt or GTK, they come with a framework as well that takes care of
> portability for you.

I would claim that's not why many abstractions were invented, especially
not for GUIs.  They are not primarily portability layers -- though
sometimes they can be made to do that job as well.  Even those which did
start out as simple portability layers have almost always gone well
beyond that level.  Most abstraction layers are designed to hide
complexity and to (hopefully) share common code.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 416 218 0099        http://www.planix.com/