Re: About wiki.netbsd.org

Am 15.12.2009 um 21:01 schrieb Elric:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 02:03:24PM +0100, haad wrote:
We are still discussing this, we would like to make wiki editable by
everyone but on the other side wiki content must have some quality
level.

I agree.
User-provided docs should still be posted on wiki.netbsd.se, because
wiki.netbsd.org should contain closely os-related docs.

But hey, why not linking somehow wiki.netbsd.se and wiki.netbsd.org ?
I mean, once a page has reached a substantial quality level, merge it
into the wiki.netbsd.org tree.

Pages would then be edited only on wiki.netbsd.org and original pages
on wiki.netbsd.se should contain only a link to netbsd.org's new one.

Wiki.netbsd.org would become then a "staging area" for pages under
work in progress, and this is not so bad in my opinion.

I mean: we should keep in mind that NetBSD project wants to keep its
documentation at a high level of quality, and then not everything can
be publicly written on a publicly accessible wiki.

We need a "staging area", something like an approval system.

About the open editing for everyone... Uhm... Yes, it works for other
projects, but some pages (often pages about rare topics) often
contains a technically low content... Something like: "type this
command, open this file, search this line, copy here, paste
there... YOU GOT IT!!" which is what NetBSD does NOT do, but it is
good (as it may seems straightforward) to be publishied on
user-to-user websites like wiki.netbsd.org.

I found the idea of having two wikis always a bit strange, to say the least. And since the many weeks that wiki.netbsd.org is active, I see almost no activity in it.

Looks to me like someone just wanted to have this wiki, working on an agenda, an ignoring what is already there.

And in general, Wikis are overrated. And even the information on the website is outdated and incorrect.

Maybe before starting one more wiki, we should concentrate on having one website that is complete and correct...

Just my two cents =)

and these were mine ;)

--
Elric W.