Re: calendar (1) and possible changes

Hi Robert,
> More interesting from that is that it appears that FreeBSD have a
> vastly improved calendar program, and it might be more sensible to
> just import theirs rather than continuing fixing ours.

Ideas:
    A 2 day weekend is a simplistic view, that was perhaps good enough
    for office employees of Bell Labs PDP11 staff working Mon-Fri,
    when calendar was written when bytes cost money;
    but doesn't allow for:

    1 day weekends, eg Western Bakers working a six day week, only
    Sunday off (Maybe Fri for middle east ?).  When I was a kid school
    ran 6 days a week.

    0 day weekends: Some rota managers, shift staff, will consider the
    whole concept of weekends as meaningless to the calendar list of duties.

    [3,4] day weekends:  Part timers sharing 1 job, eg each working
    perhaps 2,2.5,3 days a week. etc ;-)

    Doubtless someone somewhere will find a use to condider weeks start
    or end on every day inc. eg Wednesday for shops that have half day
    closing then.

    Best allow max generality, rather than special casing code..

FreeBSD-7.2 calendar manual doesnt cover all that yet, so perhaps
you might import FreeBSD calendar to NetBSD, extend it, then export
to FreeBSD ?

Cheers,
Julian
--