Re: [newbie] replacing applications in the Base set?

Hi,

Petar Bogdanovic wrote:
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:12:43PM +0200, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
Longer:
- I'm trying to update some of the applications in the Base set to
the latest versions. For instance OpenSSH, Postfix, or others. I
installed the corresponding packages using pkgsrc and now have two
installations (in /usr/bin and /usr/pkg/bin or in /usr/sbin and
/usr/pkg/sbin). How does one get rid of the older versions in
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin?

Short:
        Just leave 'em. :)

:) Sort of what I am doing (see below).

Long:
        There is no straightforward way to do that.  You could do an own
        build and set MKPOSTFIX=no but that's just not worth the hustle.

Right. Also rebuilding all from source (as suggested by Andrew Gould) seems like an overkill (though it seems most sensible to try).

        If you run Postfix from pkgsrc, make sure you've adjusted /etc/
        mailer.conf and /etc/rc.conf.d/postfix (if you want to use the
        existing postfix rc-script---not the one from pkgsrc)

OK, that's fairly simple for Postfix and other demons, to get them started up. But command line calls, such as ssh, seem trickier.

        Also, check your PATH.  It should contain /usr/pkg/{,s}bin
        before /usr/{,s}bin.

That is what I've done for now as a quick fix but I'm still wondering whether there is a more elegant way to update the applications.

Thanks,
  Shadi

--
Lieber Querschnitt als Durchschnitt
         - Peter Laisacher, Salzburger Rugby Bulls