[newbie] replacing applications in the Base set?

Hi folks,

Apologies for the newbie question, I was not able to find help online or in the mailing list archives.

- How does one replace applications pre-installed in the Base set?

- I'm trying to update some of the applications in the Base set to the latest versions. For instance OpenSSH, Postfix, or others. I installed the corresponding packages using pkgsrc and now have two installations (in /usr/bin and /usr/pkg/bin or in /usr/sbin and /usr/pkg/sbin). How does one get rid of the older versions in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin?

Lieber Querschnitt als Durchschnitt
         - Peter Laisacher, Salzburger Rugby Bulls