NetBSD 5 having trouble with NICs

I'm trying to install NetBSD 5 on an older HP to
replace my really, really old NetBSD 2 system on my
really, really old 166MHz pentium.
I downloaded and burned the NetBSD 5 iso image and
ran the install.  Things were moving right along until I
started looking into setting up the network.
dmesg reports:
fxp0 at pci2 dev 8 function 0: unable to map device registers
ex0 at pci2 dev 9 function 0: can map i/o space
I'm guessing that the GENERIC kernel isn't going to work for
me and that I need to download the kernel source and hop to
it.  Where can I learn about options for the kernel rebuild that
might be useful in this situation?
Also, is there a quicker way?
Michael D. Spence
Mockingbird Data Systems, Inc.