Re: using in src subdirectories

At Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:33:36 -0400, Taylor R Campbell
<> wrote:
Subject: Re: using in src subdirectories
> Here's a variation on the theme: I want to build everything on one
> machine, say the build-machine, and install patches on another
> machine, say the install-machine.  I'd like to do this just by
> mounting the source, object, and tool directories of the build-machine
> at /usr/src, /usr/obj, and /usr/tools on the install-machine, and then
> just running `make install' from /usr/src/foo/bar/baz/bit on the
> install-machine.

Why put you and your target machines through so very much extra

Just create release sets, mount or copy those to the target system(s)
and then either unpack them manually in single-user mode, or run sysinst
to do the upgrade, etc.

In fact the safest and most complete procedure is to go all the way to
building bootable installation media, reboot the target machine(s) from
it, and then run sysinst to do the upgrade.

                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<>       +1 416 218-0099