Re: Italic display in less

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, James K. Lowden wrote:

        "grotty emits SGR escape sequences (from ISO 6429, also called ANSI
color
escapes) to change text attributes (bold, italic, colors)."

Ah ha.  Now we're talking.  I think you'll find a lot to chew on there.

What I don't understand is how man(1) tells nroff/grotty what options to
use....

I recall that it's in a configuration file, e.g., under /etc (and that grotty's notion of what sequences to emit is not configurable beyond turning the feature on/off, in particular that it is unrelated to the terminal's capabilities).

ymmv

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net