Re: setting system clock-rate

David,

(trying out the "nntp"-interface to this mailing-list. I hope this
message gets posted).

David Lord schreef:
>> Do you mean I need to re-compile my kernel, or is this something
> that
>> can be set during boot-time (option of grub or something like
> that?)

> I've recompiled kernels including that option.

> I've just checked my kernel configs for NetBSD-4.0.1 and even one
> I've found with a large offset on NetBSD-3 (approx +300ppm) has
> been commented out as no longer needed on NetBSD-4.
>
> The drifts you mention are orders of magnitude above those I've
> been correcting for so it's possibly worth trying kernels with
> TIMER_FREQ values adjusted by a similar amount +/- 30000ppm and
> see if that makes a difference (I can't remember in which
> direction the adjustment works). I have a note that default for
> TIMER_FREQ=1193182. Having a fast clock and making step
> corrections backwards isn't considered a good idea :-(

Thanks for the help, ... but ... euh ... I fear you kind of lost me.

If I understand correctly, netbsd 4.0.1 (the version I am running) is
supposed to be "auto-syncronizing" (at least, if it can handle a drift
that large), but based on what does it do this syncronisation?
What is the "reference"? The RTC? A ntp-server?

I'm still pretty new to netbsd, so what exactly do you propose?

Do I need to recompile the kernel? I just found the "how to" document so
I might give that a try tomorrow. I'll post the result here.

> David
Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.