Re: setting system clock-rate

On 1 Mar 2009 at 13:47, Kristoff Bonne wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I have installed netbsd 4.0.1 on an old PC (pentium III, 1 Ghz).
>

> Due to some reason (probably hardware I guess), the system-clock runs
> about 3 % to fast. The RTV-clock is correct, but the system-clock goes 1
> to 2 seconds more in advance every minute.
>
> The time-difference is that large, that ntpd is unable to sync.

On NetBSD-3 I have compiled kernels with "options TIMER_FREQ=nnnnnnn"
with nnnnnnn adjusted from default so that ntpd frequency offset
settles down to < 10ppm. Some of the systems have needed 500ppm
frequency adjustment then ntpd doesn't have a problem.

I'm not sure this works with NetBSD-4 as it is supposed to self
calibrate and seems to have it right on some of upgrades I've done
but others are left at such a large offset that ntpd struggles
to sync and limited to short polling intervals. I'm in process of
move to 5.0 and will eventually give the TIMER_FREQ a try with
the worst behaving pcs.

David