Re: Why is Desktop NetBSD a threat to NetBSD?

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:07:18 +0000 (UTC)
Dennis den Brok <d.den.brok%uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" nach gmane.os.netbsd.current gesetzt.]
> Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost> schrieb:
> > Does 'lshal -m' show any events when you plug in the device? Does the
> > /media directory exist (I think the package forgets to create that right
> > now..)?
>
> Okay, I finally checked and neither did /media exist, nor was hal
> able to start up. Please find hal's output below. ConsoleKit,
> PolicyKit are installed, dbus is running; not sure what to try.

I tried the same thing this weekend. I installed hal, and policykit from
packages built in a pkg_comp root. Both seem to be missing
directories/files when not installing from source. PolicyKit wants
a /var/lib/misc/PolicyKit.reload (or something like that, I found this
by ktracing libexec/polkitd).

I also had to copy the etc/hal directory from my pkg_comp root to my
system, although I noticed this morning it got installed to / instead of
to /usr/pkg. I'll try to remember sending a PR for this.

After that it runs, and lshal -m shows events when I plug/unplug
devices, and they appear on my (XFCE) desktop. I don't know yet what I
should so I can (as ordinary user) mount it from there.

Kind regards
dieter