Re: Making desktop setup hard (Was: Two NetBSDs)

David Brownlee wrote:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Johnny Billquist wrote:

David Brownlee wrote:

    Random question for the day:

        How much time has been wasted (duplicated time and time
        again) by technically literate people who just wanted
        a basic desktop system setup so they could work on
        something that actually interested them, like adding
        new pkgsrc packages or drivers for some item of USB
        hardware?, or who just wanted to run the same OS for
        development on their laptop as they were running on
        their servers?

Since you asked...
I never seem to "waste" much time on this. Getting the base system up, and X runnig usually goes rather fast. (But I'm also one of those guys who still use ctwm).

    Its a nice lightweight WM :) I used it for a while (along
    with fvwm, blackbox, fluxbox, pekwm, golem, and most recently
    jwm).  The look on a friend's face when I switched his tiny
    netbook from gnome+metacity to jwm was impressive - gnome
    login ~5 seconds to finish, jwm: apparently instant.
    Currently playing with xfce, which has improved a hell of
    a lot since I last used it... but I digress.

    Its not wasted time for you because you are comfortable with
    the process. If you had bought a new machine and had to go
    through a (to you) painstaking process to install Windows from
    CD, enter a licence key, copy a network driver across via
    USB key, install it, update online, register, and then goto
    a webpage to run a special program to unlock some device on
    the system so you could install NetBSD, how happy would you be?

    I would expect you would never buy that machine... which
    mirrors that large set of users will never install NetBSD.

True. But I contend that they will not install NetBSD anyway.
But hey, that is just my belief, and since it's all speculations about the future anyway, we can never prove which is more right.

But you asked how much time had been wasted by technically litterate people. I just gave you an answer for my small part. And for me, that was close to zero.
Don't start mixing the issues here. ;-)

    Your answer "You must waste <---this much---> time on
    something you care nothing about before you can join the
    NetBSD ride" seems to mystify them, so they install Linux
    on their desktops, and then maybe one of them puts it on
    his servers because its nice to have the same environment
    everywhere. The servers are a little more awkward for him
    to administer, but he can set his laptop up exactly the
    same as his servers.

People with that point of view will irrevocably be disappointed if they install NetBSD anyway. If not when doing the install of the base system it will be when they try to get unsupported hardware to work, unsupported software to work, and in the end realize that the software they really want to run cannot run at all.
Stuff that works "much better" in Windows, or Linux.

    I remember the push back when NetBSD introduced sysinst over
    the previous installation system. People also objected that it
    wuld make installing too simple and would permit the less
    technical to install NetBSD. For those who are fortunate
    enough to have not installed NetBSD 1.2 or earlier the
    install notes included:

        "Before you begin, you should know the geometry of your
        hard disk, i.e.  the sector size ... sectors per track
        ...  tracks per cylinder ..., and the number of cylinders
        ..."

        "You should now be ready to install NetBSD.  It might
        be handy for you to have a pencil, some paper, and a
        calculator handy."

        "If you wish to stop the installation, you may hit
        Control-C at any time, but if you do, you'll have to
        begin the installation process again from scratch."

I still don't use that fancy installer program. It's just messing things up, and I need to do cleanups after it have been around. Besides, creating the disk label and doing the partitioning isn't exactly rocket science (even though it could probably help new people if someone wrote a faq on it). And unpacking a bunch of tarballs don't exactly come acress as rocket science. And there isn't really that much more to it.

    Why is this fanatical focus on stopping people who want
    the graphic environment automatically installed so they
    can get on with their work?" My natural working environment
    is in a 'screen' session.  Often that screen is in a urxvt
    or xterm, sometimes putty from my mobile phone, most often
    its one of a set in urxvts from a remote box. I often
    overlap the X and screen cut & paste buffers with different
    content. I don't want to spend my lift fiddling with a
    desktop configuration, yet I'm quite happy to write scripts
    to recompile large chunks of pkgsrc to tweak compiler flags
    or settings.

    Coming back to the subject one thread back. If you feel
    you want to take NetBSD in a different direction, you are
    of course free to fork the code. I prefer to try to ensure
    that any new features added for netbsd-desktop do not impair
    NetBSD use on servers and related. I'm probably not even
    going to run the new desktop package on my systems, but I
    know a few friends who would...

I'm not trying to stop anyone from doing anything. I'm just trying to point out that this might not really be in the best interest of NetBSD, despite the envisioned influx of new users.

But as I've said before. In the end, noone can tell what others should do. It's all volunteer work. I just believe that the direction aimed at by core here is important (as well as wrong, according to me :-) ).

        Johnny