Re: *PLEASE READ* Re: Two NetBSDs: from Desktop NetBSD needs your help

David Brownlee wrote:

    Random question for the day:

        How much time has been wasted (duplicated time and time
        again) by technically literate people who just wanted
        a basic desktop system setup so they could work on
        something that actually interested them, like adding
        new pkgsrc packages or drivers for some item of USB
        hardware?, or who just wanted to run the same OS for
        development on their laptop as they were running on
        their servers?

Since you asked...
I never seem to "waste" much time on this. Getting the base system up, and X runnig usually goes rather fast. (But I'm also one of those guys who still use ctwm). What usually takes time is getting all the packages installed. But I guess I only have myself to blame for that, since I prefer to build form source, and that just means it takes time. I'll do that in one window, or on one screen when I don't even have X up, while I play around with something else in another.
Heck, I don't even need X up before I start working on something.
Why is this fanatical focus on having a graphic environment? There are a lot of things I can do without even having ggraphics. But I guess that just shows that I still also use a lot of VT-xxx terminals. But for the kind of "problems" you describe, X is definitely not required. I would even go as far as saying that I'd probably not want X when doing some of that stuff.

        Johnny