Re: pkg_comp HOWTO (Was: pkgsrc)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Herb Peyerl wrote:

On Feb 8, 2009, at 7:40 AM, David Brownlee wrote:

        Could you feed back some suggestions on what is missing from
        the pkgsrc guide? Even if you only list a few of the things
        that caught you it can definitely help the next person trying
        to use pkgsrc on an obscure platform.

My recurring complaint is the difficulty in upgrading a machine's /usr/pkg to something newer... The whole pkg_comp thing, once understood, is cool and does work well... But the road to understanding is paved with the corpses of dragons...

Not to mention we don't even document the procedure... The "how I learned to stop worrying and build pkgsrc in a chroot" document is an external link that is a 404... How pathetic is that?

        Thats pretty lame. I found a copy via the waybackmachine. I've
        emailed the author asking if he would mind it being added to
        the NetBSD documentation.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070120073614/http://www.bsdfreak.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1

        Alternatively, does anyone have a reference to a good howto on
        using pkg_comp, or better still some suggested text to add to the
        pkgsrc guide?

        (Please trim netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost from any further