Re: Best subnotebook for NetBSD

Elric said on 07/02/09 18:53:
Hello guys!
I've just subscribed to this list althought I've been using NetBSD for
about one and half year...

I'm about to replace mi actual laptop with another one.
I'm not looking for something fast, powerful and expensive.

I'm looking for something slim, cheap (i'll probably get a second-hand
laptop), easy to carry and, above all, UNIX friendly.

So, the question is: which laptop would you suggest me?

At the moment i'm thinking to the IBM ThinkPad X40/X41, which seems an optimal solution: slim, cheap enough, quite fast and well supported.
What do you think about that piece of hardware?

Thanks,
                                                                Elric

I bought a Samsung NC10 last week, and I'm in the midst of transferring
all my personal files to it having installed everything I need from
pkgsrc. The only caveat is that the wired ethernet port uses a Marvell
chipset that's not used by NetBSD. However, this wasn't an issue for me,
as the Atheros wireless ethernet works perfectly with Jared McNeill's
patches. The keyboard is very comfortable to use, being about 95% of the
size of an ordinary laptop keyboard. The screen runs at 1024x600, the
same as many of the more recent netbooks, but it's slightly bigger which
really makes a difference. Unlike the Eee which the Samsung replaced,
the screen can be folded back to an optimal viewing angle without
falling over (or off your lap), and the 2.5" hard drive is a damned
sight faster.

Chris