Re: /usr/bin/tip + serial console?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:23:09 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:20:30PM +0000, raymond.meyer%rambler.ru@localhost
> wrote:
>
> > Hmm... it doesn't quite work. What I'm trying to do is login multiuser,
> > i.e. I need to use the attached keyboard + graphics card, so I can start
> > Xserver.
>
> What doesn't work? Login in on ttyE0 and starting X works fine for me
> with serial console.
>
> Martin

Can you show me exactly what /etc/ttys file should look like and how do I log
in on ttyE0 with serial console.

Also, it might be easier just to tell kernel to produce a crash dump on panic,
instead of entering ddb. How do I tell the kernel to do that and once I have
the crash dump, how do I look what caused the panic? Do I need to build the
kernel with debugging symbols, or can I still get a useful backtrace with the
generic kernel?

Thanks.