Re: /usr/bin/tip + serial console?

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:12:15 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:32:17PM +0000, raymond.meyer%rambler.ru@localhost
> wrote:
> > When it says connected, I type ~# but nothing happens.
>
> Does it echo other keys? Do you get a login prompt?
>
> Martin

No, nothing. When I type ~# it simply displays ~ character.

On sparc64 machine, the keyboard is plugged in, so the input goes via keyboard
and output via Creator3D framebuffer. Maybe I need to reboot the machine and
unplug the keyboard? But then how am I supposed to start Xserver? I'm trying to
find out whey the kernel crashes when I run xmms with faad plugin on sparc64.

What I want to do is login multiuser, start X11 and setup serial console from
i386, run xmms, crash the kernel and look on serial console what happens.

Maybe I need to edit /etc/ttys file to enable serial console? Which lines do I
need to add?

ultra10# cat /etc/ttys
#       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.9 2008/10/07 10:00:02 abs Exp $
#
#       @(#)ttys        5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 on secure
constty "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 off secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 off secure
ttyE1   "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 off secure
ttyE2   "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 off secure
ttyE3   "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun-ss5 off secure
ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyb    "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyh0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure
ttyh1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure