Re: Xfree --> Xorg cookbook?

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Paul Goyette wrote:

Has anyone written a step-by-step "cookbook" for upgrading X? I'm especially interested in things like:

        1. What other files (like man.conf?) need to be updated to point
           to the new directories.  Do I need to do anything special in
           /etc/rc.conf to make it start Xorg instead of Xfree?

        2. What are all the various X config files that need to be
           moved from the old directories?  Are there any new config
           files that need to be created?

        3. Are there any special considerations or things in those
           config files that need to be editted?

        4. Other than /usr/X11R6, what else should I delete when
           finished with the upgrade?

        5. Any "gotchas" to watch out for in users' ~/.xsession files?

OK, not having seen any "what do I do after I install Xorg" responses, here's what I came up with:

1. Fix /etc/man.conf (This has already been updated in -current)

2. Edit /etc/rc.d/xdm and xfs to refer to X11R7 rather than X11R6.
   (These should be updated soon in -current.)

3. Move the old /etc/X11/XF86config out of the way and create a new
   /etc/X11/xorg.conf (using xorgconfig).  Note that xorgconfig does
   not have a video card database so you'll need to manually edit
   the resulting file to define the video driver info.  (Alternatively
   you can start Xserver without having any config file at all, and it
   will use a built-in config which should help identify the video
   info.  But don't use this method for real, since you won't have any
   wsmouse support!)

4. Edit the various other files in /etc/X11/*, especially those in
   /etc/X11/xdm and /etc/X11/xfs - just replace all the X11R6 with
   X11R7.

5. Restart xdm (and xfs).  If it doesn't work, the log files are in
   /var/log/Xorg.0.log (they used to be in /var/log/XF86.0.log)

6. Remove all your old packages that use X11.  Given all the inter-
   dependencies, I just removed everything using the following:

        pkg_info -a | awk '{printf "%3d %s", FNR, $1}' | sort -r | \
        awk '{print $2}' | xargs pkg_delete

   This deletes the packages in reverse order of how they're listed
   in the pkg_info output, which will get most of the dependencies
   in the right order.  But you might still have to run a second or
   third pass.

7. Reinstall all the packages you need.

8. If users have explicit references to things in X11R6 (for example,
   setting of PATH environment variable) in their login files, you'll
   need to edit them.  Same thing for any window-manager startup files
   like ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc etc.

9. If anyone is using ssh-agent and ssh-add, you'll need to set
   SSH_ASKPASS environment variable to point to the X11R7 directory;
   by default, ssh-add looks in X11R6.

Hopefully this info will help others in the update process.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |