Re: SATA cards with lots of ports?

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 01:03:35PM +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <1ii49b8.6f1mqtotnz2jM%manu%netbsd.org@localhost>,
> Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >Hello
> >
> >Anyone has some feedback to give about the usability of a SATA card with
> >a lot of ports (12 or more), on NetBSD?
>
> Areca ARC-1220 seems like the only choice.

The AMI MegaRAID SATA cards support SAS port multipliers, so you can
get up to 32 drives on them by using four 8-port multipliers.  The
cabling is far tidier this way too.

If we had support for port multipliers in our ATA code we could do this
with the motherboard SATA ports, too, which would be really nice.

Thor