Re: carp fail over

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:19:29AM -0500, Steve Pribyl wrote:
> When I pull the plug the only messages I get is this on the BACKUP
> Jun  5 11:13:02 n364300b /netbsd: arp_rtrequest: bad gateway value
>
> Looking at the carp source it only seems to log errors not events.

Right.

Can you (re)tell exactly what you're seeing ?
I did the experiement again here, on a router with several
interfaces (note that I don't use the arpbalance. I just use
net.inet.carp.preempt = 1
net.inet.carp.allow = 1
). Traffic goes though router1 in normal situation. Unplugging the
cable (or taking the port out of the vlan on the switch, which is actally
what I did) cause all traffic to do to the other router. Even on the interfaces
that are still functionnal, there's no more traffic coming it (I checked
with tcpdump). replugging the cable makes the traffic switch back to
router1.
Actually, when the cable in unplugged, all interfaces remain MASTER on
the first box. On the second box, only the interface which notices the
missing peer switches to MASTER (the others remains as BAKCUP), but all
interfaces on the second box are actually handling the traffic.