Re: Does build.sh dump things into /usr/obj/ ?

2008/5/17 Christian Baer <christian.baer%uni-dortmund.de@localhost>:
> Hello folks!
>
> In about an hour or so (whenever I get home), I'll start setting up a new
> NetBSD system. :-)
>
> I'm one of these people who came from FreeBSD and need to adapt to the
> differences between these two operating systems. One thing I haven't found
> out yet is if the system build has the same source and target. Meaning this:
> In FreeBSD, when building everything, the sources are read from /usr/src and
> the resultung binaries are dumped into /usr/obj, installing is a seperate
> step.
>
> I have found that you can get a real boost in speed doing that, if you
> follow the suggestion of the FreeBSD handbook and put these two file systems
> onto seperate physical drives - especially if the HDs in use aren't really
> new ones. :-) Does NetBSD do this too?
>
> I know that you can *change* the destination directory for the builds (as
> written in 30.7.1 of the guide) but what is the *default*? It would be could
> to know this before I start installing as then I can partition the drives
> with a sense of meaning. :-)
>
> Sorry about asking this rather trivial question. I just couldn't find the
> answer (although I know it must be there somewhere) and I'd like to get this
> done. This system has been down for long enough...
>
> Regards,
> Chris

you can specify -O for objdir.

I'm building like this:

./build.sh -T ../tooldir -O ../objdir -D ../destdir -R ../releasedir
-U -r -j2 tools distribution sets

This has also the advantage, that you keep src clean for csup/cvs update.
Feel free to mount one or more of the directories on a separate disk.
I doubt it will speed up that much.

zafer.