Re: Using swap though there's plenty of mem free

Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> No, it is not. It is not nice if unused processes block all the memory
> and the I/O performance is bad. The VM system has of course to
> maintain the correct ballance (and there might be situation where
> NetBSD's doesn't do that).

Well, for some reason, it works just fine on Linux which just decreases
the buffer cache if more memory is needed.
I changed vm.filemax to 10 now and that fixed it for me. The bahaviour
is now like this:
If there's enough free memory, for example 200 MB free, those 200 MB
are used for file cache. If then an application needs memory, the file
cache is decreased until it's 44 MB (I have 448 MB in that machine).
Those 44 MB are always kept, it's never decreased below them. Works
just fine for me.

--
Jonathan