Re: Using swap though there's plenty of mem free

On 1 May 2008, at 17:10, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
I realized that NetBSD nearly always uses swap on my machine though
there's plenty of free memory. It often uses 200 MB file cache, but
swapps. I don't see any sense in that.

What would be the sense in keeping allocated pages in memory even if
they haven't accessed for hours? Using the memory e.g. as disk
buffers will reduce the total amount of disk I/O which is what
a modern VM system tries to achieve.

Please use Google to look for "Using swap is bad for performance"
and you will find some interesting comments on the topic.

        Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                           http://zhadum.org.uk/