[SOLVED] Re: ypbind can't connect to ypserv on NIS master server

> rpcbind and ypserv start ok, but ypbind doesn't. I need to Ctrl-C it.
> The most strange thing is that, while ypbind looks for the server, I
> can't ping (like ypbind, it also myself neither the external IP nor
> localhost).

ypbind was in fact not resolving the host because of a miss
configuration in nsswitch.conf. I had the line:

    hosts:          nis files

After asking for help, a friend told me to change this line to:

    hosts:          files dns

and everything worked fine.

Another good reference is

Thank you very much.