Re: NetBSD on the Asus EeePC: Status page

>>> I've run vlc full screen receiving a streamed movie on one.
>>
>> In this case, this is the stream server that does all the work, isn't it
>> ?
>
> Not necessarily, it converts to an MPEG TS stream.
>
>> This does not "proove" local MPEG4 decoding ability, does it ?
>
> Yes, as the input stream is MPEG.

OK, great :-)

>> I have an (old) Dell C610 (P3 700MHz/1GHz, ATI Radeon M6, 4.0_BETA) on
>> which I tried watching a home-made Kid video (MPEG4 from DV cam) and it
>> was damm slow.
>
> Well, you don't get anything for free - remember that the standard EeePC
> is underclocked at 600MHz (not the 900MHz headline figure), so you get
> performance in the order expected for a 600MHz machine.

Of course :-)

If you confirm you read MPEG stream on it, then probably that 600MHz and
extra "multimedia" extensions (MMX, SSE2, ...). And maybe the intel video
card also helps.

I'm not sure whether I'm looking for reasons to get one or to not get
another toy machine ;-)

Regards,
   Jo