Re: NetBSD on the Asus EeePC: Status page

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Joel CARNAT wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Joel CARNAT wrote:
If the aim is to get a portable DVD/Multimedia box running NetBSD, what
are the performance (using NetBSD) when running things like
(full-screen)
freevo/xine/mplayer/.. playing DVD-quality or Xvid encoded videos.

I've run vlc full screen receiving a streamed movie on one.

In this case, this is the stream server that does all the work, isn't it ?

Not necessarily, it converts to an MPEG TS stream.

This does not "proove" local MPEG4 decoding ability, does it ?

Yes, as the input stream is MPEG.

I have an (old) Dell C610 (P3 700MHz/1GHz, ATI Radeon M6, 4.0_BETA) on
which I tried watching a home-made Kid video (MPEG4 from DV cam) and it
was damm slow.

Well, you don't get anything for free - remember that the standard EeePC is underclocked at 600MHz (not the 900MHz headline figure), so you get performance in the order expected for a 600MHz machine.

--
Stephen