Re: best way of logging on flash based systems

> I wrote this a little while ago:
> http://www.mspo.com/netbsdreadmostly.html
> and it needs some updating (especially on the mail advice, etc) but it
> might give some hints about syslog and var.

I don't see where syslogd creates the file like in your suggestion. Some
say creating a new file is a security issue. I can't reproduce or see in
code. I thought that creating the file ahead of time was documented but
don't see in manpage.

(That said, I also don't see the logging about that failure either unless
run with -d. Looks like a bug.)

One idea is to make a /etc/rc.conf.d/dhcpd file with:
touch /var/run/dhcpd.leases

(put your other dhcpd rc.conf settings in there too if you want.)
(or put the touch right in /etc/rc.conf.)

But still have a problem that /etc/rc.d/dhcpd startup script checks for
/var/db/dhcpd.leases -- so maybe make a symlink for that too.

  Jeremy C. Reed