Re: Serious crashes on 9.99.93

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Thursday, December 30th, 2021 at 11:21 AM, Yorick Hardy <yorickhardy%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Dear current-users,
>
> I tried to reproduce the problems that pin is seeing. I seldom got
>
> as far as the web browser, but did get the following backtraces:
>
> Crash version 9.99.42, image version 9.99.93.
>
> WARNING: versions differ, you may not be able to examine this image.
>
> System panicked: pr_phinpage_check: [i915_request] item 0xffff939b82a4f840 not part of pool
>
> Backtrace from time of crash is available.
>
> _KERNEL_OPT_GENFB_GLYPHCACHE() at 0
>
> _KERNEL_OPT_GENFB_GLYPHCACHE() at 0
>
> sys_reboot() at sys_reboot
>
> vpanic() at vpanic+0x160
>
> device_printf() at device_printf
>
> pool_cache_put_paddr() at pool_cache_put_paddr+0x14f
>
> linux_dma_resv_fini() at linux_dma_resv_fini+0x55
>
> __i915_gem_free_object_rcu() at __i915_gem_free_object_rcu+0x45
>
> gc_thread() at gc_thread+0x92
>
> Crash version 9.99.42, image version 9.99.93.
>
> WARNING: versions differ, you may not be able to examine this image.
>
> System panicked: trap
>
> Backtrace from time of crash is available.
>
> _KERNEL_OPT_GENFB_GLYPHCACHE() at 0
>
> ?() at ffffbf014f2a0000
>
> sys_reboot() at sys_reboot
>
> vpanic() at vpanic+0x160
>
> device_printf() at device_printf
>
> startlwp() at startlwp
>
> calltrap() at calltrap+0x19
>
> ffs_sync() at ffs_sync+0x75
>
> VFS_SYNC() at VFS_SYNC+0x22
>
> sched_sync() at sched_sync+0x90
>
> Could the first backtrace be a clue? Changes were made in this area after the 15th,
>
> which is when pin still had a stable kernel.

Taylor suggested off-list that my issues looked like faulty memory.
Initially, I found it hard to believe as the crash only took place when launching the web browser.
Also, I had no issues the day before while running 9.99.92 from the 15th of December.

Moreover, I did a few memory tests and they all passed. Did also check if there were any available
updates to my BIOS and performed an SSD test on my drive. All good.

Taylor still insisted on faulty memory and to compile a kernel with some non-default options enabled.

It was although easier to open the lid of my laptop and replace the 2x4Gb RAM chips with a 8Gb one
I had in a box.

Surprise, no crashes until now. I used the browser for about 15 min, so not that extensive.
I wish to keep this thread alive until I have had the time to test this further and because Yorick
still experiences crashes.

That said, it will be a few days until I can do this. I did a clean re-install and need to set-up
my system as I like. It means building rust and leftwm-git and it's new year soon.

Btw, Happy New Year to all of you and thanks for all the support.

Regards,
pin