Enabling xdm in sysinst breaks console login?

Just installed NetBSD 8.99.42/i386 on a ThinkPad T41 and enabled xdm
in the sysinst menu.

After xdm started I hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch vty but was unable to
login - at first no characters were shown. Evenutally I was able to
type root<RETURN> and have it shown, but it just moved the display
down and did not login.

I was able to login on Ctrl+Alt+F2 without issue.

Switching back to Ctrl+Alt+F1 and pressing ^T  printed
[ 251...] load: 0.97 not a controlling terminal
Image at https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdoHhSeWqTeU12j9 - I wonder if
this was a background makemandb running on initial boot)

Running "/etc/rc.d/xdm stop" cleared the issue and I was then able to login.

This is another "am I just {un,}lucky here or are others seeing this? :)

Thanks

David