Re: Status of 8.99.12

On Mon, 12 Feb 2018, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 08:48:32AM +0800, Paul Goyette wrote:

1. Starting the gnucash program (from pkgsrc finance/gnucash) now takes
   about 3 times as long as before.  Even after successfully loading
   the image (to get libraries etc into the file system cache) it take
   more than three full minutes for the program to initialize.

It previously took 1 full minute?

Yes, at least on the initial load (before caching everything). On subsequent loads it would take at least 20-30 seconds to start.

How does it look without LOCKDEBUG?

I would have to build a new kernel and check. Do you thing it is truly relevant? Would there be a lot of locking/contention occurring during the program start-up phase?

FWIW, someone also suggested that the "3-seconds needed to unmount a nullfs" problem could also be affected by LOCKDEBUG. Interestingly, this problem does not seem to persist. Some time after the system is booted, and some time after all the nullfs mounts are completed, the unmount process completes as expected; all 20+ umount complete within total of 3-4 seconds, rather than 3-6 seconds each. I'll try to characterize the "some time after" details later, after resolving the bigger outstanding issues.

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |