Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

On Sat 18 Nov 2017 at 15:02:01 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> And note the following excerpt from fortune(6):
>
>      -o    Choose only from potentially offensive aphorisms.  Please,
> please,
>            please request a potentially offensive fortune if and only
> if you
>            believe, deep down in your heart, that you are willing to be
>            offended.  (And that if you are, you'll just quit using -o
> rather
>            than give us grief about it, okay?)

You may have noted that the mentioned quotes are NOT part of the
offensive set! (As an aside: The criteria for what is "offensive" seem
rather strange to me; they seem to be mostly religious or sexuality
based, something that is looked at rather differently in Europe than the
USA.)

I agree that bad history should be remembered in context and not
forgotten. However, that is not what these quotes do. They give no
context, and they make A.H. seem like a relatively normal person. Now if
he was quoted at his worst, it might be obvious what sort of monster he
was, but that is not the effect of these quotes. His crimes against
humanity are trivialised by putting things he said next to people like
Mahatma Gandhi.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- Wayland: Those who don't understand X
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- are condemned to reinvent it. Poorly.