Re: Remove fortune quotes attributed to or providing admiration of Adolf Hitler [pr bin/52735]

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
 |I agree that bad history should be remembered in context and not
 |forgotten. However, that is not what these quotes do. They give no
 |context, and they make A.H. seem like a relatively normal person. Now if
 |he was quoted at his worst, it might be obvious what sort of monster he
 |was, but that is not the effect of these quotes. His crimes against
 |humanity are trivialised by putting things he said next to people like
 |Mahatma Gandhi.

Difficult given that in the FreeBSD core team there is someone who
thinks clean rooms are something desirable.  I do not know what
such people think.

In my context.  If you look in the eyes of a young girl who has to
face the "contempt for mankind", and i quote that, expressed by
said subjects, and if all you do is to spend ten minutes of your
life with the photos on the single page[1], which took me two
minutes to find and i know many many many many more of such photos
and many of them more painful than those, then the
non-understanding you will see in these eyes is so beautifully
expressed by the wonderful Hannah Ahrendt and her "Eichmann in
Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil".

And also, in Buddhism it is clear that the monkey is the start of
it all and it is your personal responsibility to walk the spiral
staircase to a "higher ground" and "increase your karma".  It is
in us and not talking about it or purport it does not exist does
not help at all.  It requires active working, it requires
reflection, concentration, and transformation.  Chimpanzees are
one of the cruelest kind.  A buddhistic teacher of former times
said "be kind with them and silent when they cut you in pieces"
(if i recall correctly, this is not truly exact).  For those who
stick to the committer: that are not only words, you may try that
if you can, search "Lingchi" on the web -- but be aware!

You will never be able to reflect something that you do not even
know about.  You will never be able to look back over twenty years
of time and get ashamed of having gotten something so wrong if
you never got even in contact with it at first.  Hitler got his
Villa and the entire mountain it stands on as well, a private doctor,
a Mercedes-Benz.  Making such deals seems to attract not few
people.  You could go on a cheap dreamboat holiday.  The regime
was bankrupt very soon, but others had to pay for it already by
then, with their resources, money first, humans and other natural
ones later.
Somehow that reminds me of something.

--steffen