Re: xorg.conf is read but not acted on correctly

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:15:55PM +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> I just tried attaching an external monitor to my old Dell Latitude E6400
> laptop.  The plug is VGA style. Linux happily tells me I have two
> monitors, with different resolutions, and it finds the correct maximum
> resolution of the external monitor.  NetBSD (using the nouveau driver)
> decides to run both in parallel, and since it can't figure out the
> resolution of the external monitor, it selects 640x480 for the pair.
>
> Is there a simple xorg.conf I can create to help resolve this?

xrandr is an option for setting resolution of monitors
(with x11/arandr able to generate a viable command, it's
not the most user friendly command). This is assuming it
recognises a higher resolution.

specifically for nouveau on NetBSD, there's a bug with
setting resolutions, for drmfb I've been able to workaround
it by rounding to the nearest 256 byte (nvidia hardware
requires this alignment), I guess the same is needed in
Xorg too but I still haven't found the place to put it.
(I dunno why it would be different on NetBSD than linux...
the xorg bits are identical).

It's not really the 'old' way, but it has a huge upside:
you can change resolution without restarting X (assuming
you managed to cobble together a viable xorg.conf).