Re: xorg.conf is read but not acted on correctly

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 04:53:46PM +0000, Dave Tyson wrote:
> I normally don't bother creating a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as the built-in
> defaults generally work OK. I just tried to create one using X -configure and
> then edited it to (a) allow for ms-ttf font and (b) set the keyboard layout
> "uk"

Not that your way should be broken, but the recommendation today
and possibly easier path is, for setting e.g. keyboard layout:

  setxkbmap -option grp:alt_shift_toggle us,il &
(From my ~/.xinitrc)

ms-ttf is a pkgsrc package (fonts/ms-ttf), and I reckon it'd
put it at a recognised path without needing to adjust configs.