Re: agr issue in netbsd-7

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 09:01:17AM +0200, Havard Eidnes wrote:

> >> If I'm not terribly mistaken, the problem is that both physical
> >> interfaces are supposed to pick one of the ethernet addresses and use
> >> it as the source MAC for all the traffic passed on the aggregate
> >> logical interface.  Apparently, the bnx driver in NetBSD doesn't (yet)
> >> have the ability to change the source MAC address.
> >
> > you should be able to change it manually with ifconfig (or put the
> > appropriate commands in /etc/ifconfig.bnx*) so that both use the same address.
> > I've done this in the past and it worked.
>
> Really?  OK, I may have to test that again.  But why doesn't that
> happen automatically?  On another host I run an agr0 interface over a
> wm0/wm1 combination, and I don't have to tweak anything manually wrt.
> MAC addresses to make that work.

because there's 2 different interfaces to change the active MAC address:
SIOCINITIFADDR (with AF_LINK) and SIOCALIFADDR. agr uses the former, but
it's not supported by all interfaces. ifconfig uses the later.

agr should probably be fixed to use the later too, but I've never
had the time to look at it deeper.