Re: Issues with 7.99.13 (amd64)

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Paul Goyette wrote:

I've encountered three separate issues while running -current (most recently, 7.99.13).

1. ...

2. System shutdown usually hangs while waiting for xdm to stop.  I don't
  know if it would ever recover (I've waited at least a couple minutes)
  but as asson as I log back in on the console and 'kill -9' the xdm
  process, shutdown proceeds normally.  This happens on 60-80% of the
  time.

FWIW, the actual culprit here would seem to be the Xserver running "underneath" xdm. When the problem occurs, the user (me) has already been successfully logged out, and xdm has started up a new Xserver, which according to top(1) is running at 100% CPU.

If I 'kill -9' the Xserver process, then xdm exists normally and the shutdown proceeds.

3. ...

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |