extricate tco watchdog device from x86/pci/ichlpcib ?

(Not sure if this belongs on current-users or tech-kern, so I've copied both.)

I've noticed that the x86-specific ichlpcib(4) device has a number of "child" deevices. Some of these have their own device drivers and attachments (isa, hpet, fwrng, gpio) while others are monolithically integrated into the ichlpcib driver itself (TCO/watchdog timer and speedstep).

I would like to separate the watchdog timer code from the rest of the ichlpcib driver, and make a new tco(4) driver. (I'd like to separate the speedstep stuff, too, but would not be able to test; speedstep is only supported on older ICH{2,3,4}-M controllers.) I intend to make the new tco(4) driver into a separate module, which can be loaded, unloaded, and reloaded at will.

Comments? Objections? Alternative driver name other than tco? (is tco already used anywhere?)

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |