Re: Issues with 7.99.13 (amd64)

On Sat, 2 May 2015, Paul Goyette wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2015, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > I've encountered three separate issues while running -current (most
> > recently, 7.99.13).
> >
> > 1. ...
> >
> > 2. System shutdown usually hangs while waiting for xdm to stop.  I don't
> >   know if it would ever recover (I've waited at least a couple minutes)
> >   but as asson as I log back in on the console and 'kill -9' the xdm
> >   process, shutdown proceeds normally.  This happens on 60-80% of the
> >   time.
>
> FWIW, the actual culprit here would seem to be the Xserver running
> "underneath" xdm.  When the problem occurs, the user (me) has already been
> successfully logged out, and xdm has started up a new Xserver, which according
> to top(1) is running at 100% CPU.
>
> If I 'kill -9' the Xserver process, then xdm exists normally and the shutdown
> proceeds.

I've seen something similar to this, but haven't had time to pin it down
exactly, or update again to see if it is gone with the most recent DRM
updates. On my T60 (i386), the laptop boots ok, but when I insert a USB 3g
dongle (or, if it is present on boot) I see

ehci0: handing over full speed device on port 7 to uhci3
DRM error in i915_irq_handler: pipe A underrun

and then, if I shutdown it does work normally UNLESS if I unplug the
offending uhso(4) device before the shutdown, then the Xserver will block,
running in a busy loop on one core (effectively 50% cpu). My wild guess
is something to do with interrupts conflicting.

iain