Re: Debugging kernel memory allocation

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih%hamartun.priv.no@localhost> writes:

> The local change seemed to improve things quite a bit, but not entirely
> to fix the situation, but after upgrading to a newer -current, I seem to
> be able to load the server down with very heavy disk and network
> activity, with no ill effects.  It's only been running with the upgraded
> kernel for a couple of days, so I'm not entirely trusting it yet, but
> I'm hopeful.

...and definitely getting more hopeful all the time.  I still get the
occasional network hangs, but I'm not bothered by them, because I'm
asleep at the time.  My nightly backups are fine, but later, when
/etc/daily runs, it will sometimes trigger the problem.  I only notice
it because my IRC client times out and reconnects, and the various
components of my MooseFS distributed file system lose their connectivity
and take a while to reconnect, possibly because MooseFS wants large
network buffers and can't get them for a while.

Basically, things are still not right, but good enough for home use.

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman