Re: Debugging kernel memory allocation

Lars Heidieker <lars%heidieker.de@localhost> writes:

> are any pools with a limit are exhausted?

Here's a possibly interesting data point: yesterday, I shut down
MooseFS, which freed up about half a gig of memory.  Since all the
interesting bits from the disk were already in the (6GB) allocated file
cache, it stayed like that over the afternoon and evening, with no
events.  During the night, however, my backups ran, and this morning the
system was back to very little free.

Now for the interesting bit: a 'systat bufcache' that had been running
all night, is still running, but shows an error message: "can't get
buffers: Resource temporarily unavailable".

-tih
--
It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart
you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.  -Richard Feynman