Permission problems and questions on 7.99.1 and 7.0_BETA

I notice strange problems not being able to run things like mpop, msmtp, or
even man as nonroot because of "Permission denied" on trying to create
temporary file.

Has anybody else noticed it?  Problem was not present on NetBSD 6.99.44 amd64
and i386.

Src and xsrc trees are on a FreeBSD partition, mounted on /BETA1, and I got
around the problem by
chmod --reference=/BETA1/tmp /tmp

I presume I could have achieved the same effect by --reference=(mounted NetBSD
6.9.44-i386 partition)/tmp.

Still, I can't startx as nonroot because of inability to create
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, again a permissions issue, and I also notice an inability
to create vi.recover because of permissions problem on /var/tmp.

I've never had that before with any BSD or Linux.

Mouse was not detected when starting X (native) as root, but I try to create a
surrogate mouse with xkbset (mousekeys part).  I will need to build icewm13
from pkgsrc to get a better idea than I can get with twm.

Tom