Re: NetBSD on Gateway SX2185?

At date and time Sat, 26 Jul 2014 11:29:33 -0700 (PDT), Paul Goyette wrote:

> I just got a SX2185 and tried to bring up NetBSD.  I tried booting an
> installation CD, which I have previously used successfully, but the
> Gateway gave me the usual "Insert the right media and press a key"
> message.
>
> I replaced the internal hard drive with one that already has NetBSD
> installed on it (and from which I have booted another machine), but
> it fails in the same way.
>
> According to the label, the Gateway has a AMD E1-2500 processor, 4GB
> RAM, and Radeon HD8240 graphics.  The BIOS version is "P11-A4" and
> claims to be "exclusively for Gateway only" (that's what it says on
> the start-up splash screen).
>
> Any clue on what it would take to make this thing boot NetBSD?

Perhaps Secure Boot is enabled in the BIOS? This would allow only
signed operating system installations to boot. I am not sure where you
disable Secure Boot in that machine, but it is not always in the Boot
section. If you find it try disabling it and while you're at it enable
Legacy BIOS mode as well, if you have that option.

--
Gerard Lally