Re: suspend/resume friendly laptop

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17:35PM +0900, kato%wide.ad.jp@localhost wrote:
> I'm afraid if this inquiry is a little bit off topic.

Not at all.

> In my Lenovo X61, suspend/resume doesn't work well in NetBSD 6.1 and
> NetBSD 6.99 regardless of the value of
>         hw.acpi.sleep.vbios
>         hw.acpi.acpivga0.bios_switch
> in non-X11 environment and X11 environment (vesa driver is in use).

I have X61s and X60s, both of which can suspend and resume. At least this
worked very well for the 6.X series, but for today's -current resume
occasionally hangs. Actually, not resuming itself (i.e., the system comes
back to life) but indeed the graphics (vesa) do not always resume. I have
no idea what causes this non-deterministic behavior, but vesa is a suspect.
I would also appreciate hints on how this could be even debugged.

> Any information is appreciated but I'd prefer if such laptops are
> still available in the market (in brand new shape), and if they are
> less than 2kg/4lb. Minor hardware change (such as replacing PCIe-mini
> wireless lan card -- it may not be available in Lenovo) is acceptable.

I think after the big Intel/X.org/KMS/whatnot thing is resolved, it becomes
much easier to start more systematic investigations.

- Jukka.