Re: updating pkg osabi/x11-links

Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On 19 May 2014 16:38, Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> Greg Troxel wrote:
>>>
>>> Really, when you update pkgsrc, it's only safe to rebuild things in
>>> order (but of course many other things work).  That's why pkg_rr was
>>> written.
>
> If one follows -current and uses pkg_rolling-replace, osabi always
> fails if the minor -current version has been changed. That's why I
> manually update the packages depending on osabi as explained earlier,
> and then run pkg_rr. But of course that is not a fault of pkgsrc -
> after all, it hasn't been designed to cope with the simultaneous
> change of the layered software and the operating system.

I think pkgsrc should cope with that situation (but agree that it
doesn't and it's in need of a patch).

I'd say it's a bug in osabi if one can't do 'make replace' and just get
an osabi package with a newer version.  Of course, the depending
packages need to be (and should be) marked unsafe_depends, but there are
sometimes issues when there's logic to try to prevent that situation.
Are you saying that make replace doesn't work, or that pkg_chk/pkg_rr
doesn't consider it out of date, or something else?