Re: NetBSD-HEAD amd64 refuses to build

> > Basically, I'm lost with the debugger, and the best I can do is type
> > "reboot".

> As Patrick suggested, please try typing "bt" in the debugger, to get a
> back-trace.

> > Is there any documentation?

> Yes - see "man 4 ddb"

> > But I don't think the debugger could really help me.

> It certainly won't help if you don't try, and don't listen to other
> people who are trying to help you.

> > I remember in the boot process getting past athn0, so that was
> > detected apparently satisfactorily.

> > I have packages built for amd64 but nothing that survives for
> > NetBSD-current i386, and I don't want to restart from scratch building
> > packages for amd64.

> If you can't get the kernel running and stable, you are a long ways
> away from having to think about building packages.

> > I remember building modular-xorg from pkgsrc, but startx failed on
> > inability to find display.  This also happens with OpenBSD 5.4 Live
> > USB from liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net which was supposed to have
> > been already configured and ready to go.

> > There needs to be a way to single-step through the boot process;
> > otherwise, boot messages whiz past too fast to be readable, and I
> > still don't know any way to capture these messages to a file when boot
> > falls short.

> Try using a serial console and capturing the output.

> The messages are also stored in the kernel's message buffer, where the
> debugger can access them.

> And, if you were to type "reboot 0x100" you could force a crash dump.

| Paul Goyette

Fortunately, at
http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.cgi

there is a link to documentation including man pages, so I can check a man page
even when not running NetBSD (just did for ddb).

I had packages built for NetBSD-current amd64 before the last ill-fated update.

Where do I get a serial console, and how do I connect it to a computer when
there are no serial ports?

Motherboard has a serial header.  But serial and parallel ports have greatly
gone out of style in recent years along with SCSI and floppy disks.

Where would the kernel's message buffer be found?  Would it be
/var/log/messages ?

I can examine that even from FreeBSD.

I didn't know about "reboot 0x100".  Where would the crash dump go?  Would it
be /var/crash ?

Thanks for info, now I have something to try, even if it's a stab in the dark.

Tom