Re: postfix and sasl questions

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:13:09 +0000
Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:29:10AM -0800, Erik Fair wrote:
> > On Jan 10, 2013, at 08:12, Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost>
> > wrote:
> > > I would highly recommend that. Dovecot's IMAP server is so much
> > > faster, in particular on large folders.
> >
> > What particular configuration of dovecot (i.e. mail database format)
> > do you recommend for use with NetBSD?
>
> Well, I use plain old "mbox" because it works nicely with "procmail".
> Other formats might be faster. But Dovecot creates an index for "mbox"
> which makes access to large folders fast enough for me.

As long as all you do is add to a mailbox.  Deleting a message is still
heavy because it requires reading the entire mailbox and writing it
without the deleted message.

I use maildir for that reason as well as for backups.  I keep 60 days
of offsite backups of my mail folders.  Basically I create a hard
linked copy of yesterday's backup and then rsync today's mail.  Every
day's backup is only a small fraction of the total first backup.  That
saves both space and bandwidth.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/ IM:darcy%Vex.Net@localhost