Re: NetBSD/epoc32

I sent a direct email to your address but it doesn't seem to have made
it? cc'ing list this time :)

On 9 August 2012 14:35, KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara%kk.iij4u.or.jp@localhost>
wrote:

> From: David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
> Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 22:55:24 +0100
>
> I will support to SERIES 5, if jun@ have it. :-)
> # I am contacting jun@ now.

I missed out on a good auction on eBay recently for several Psion
machines. I'm going to keep an eye on eBay - if I find a Psion5 or 5mx
at a good price (or a replacement flexi cable!) should I get it and
post it across to you? :)

>> Is it a simple memory mapped framebuffer? Hopefully with a pixel
>> layout already supported by wsdisplay :)
>
> Yes it is.  That's right probably.  It is 4 or 8 bits.

Excellent :)

>> Could a single binary determine the relevant release and include two
>> sets of calls, or would it need two different binaries?
>
> I will support a binary both SERIES5 and other.  And it is possible
> also in the present hack procedure.  Probably it can support in several
> hours.

That is very good news!

>> One thought might be to make a pkgsrc entry for the sdk, and include
>> the generated EPOC boot binaries as uuencoded in the NetBSD source
>> tree (I'm assuming NetBSD/epoc32 will be imported? :)
>
> I am very hoping to import.

That is also very good news :)

>> Well there is at least one company that says they sell better
>> replacement cables - http://www.psionflexi.co.uk/ - GBP15, which seems
>> to be about the 5MX FLEXI price on eBay :/
>
> Oh!.
> It is an extraordinary wonderful company.
> However, as for me, it is mortifying that it is expensive.

It is disappointing, but I suspect their market is not very large :)
It is probably more than half the price of a full machine on eBay, so
maybe that is the better option (see top of email :)