Re: NetBSD/epoc32

On 8 August 2012 18:24, KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara%kk.iij4u.or.jp@localhost>
wrote:
> Hi! all,
>
> I put NetBSD/epoc32 binaries and sources.
>
>   http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/kiyohara/epoc32

Most wonderful! I have a Psion 5mx with serial cable safely hidden
away somewhere. I have just ordered a CF card from eBay :)

[...]
> Tested only Psion SERIES 5mx.  However it support Revo, Revo+, 5mx Pro
> and Diamond Mako, Ericsson MC218 maybe.
> (support EPOC32 Release 5 with Windermere(SoC?))  :)

I think I have a psion 5 as well as a 5mx. Is the 5 likely to be supported too?

> If e32boot.exe is executed, a screen will become crush, but it is
> intentional.  Since how to use the memory of EPOC32 was not found well,
> it is because various things are copied and execute on the frame buffer
> considered to be safe absolutely.

Is it a simple memory mapped framebuffer? Hopefully with a pixel
layout already supported by wsdisplay :)

> e32boot.exe is supporting only a SERIES 5mx and SERIES 7 (netBook is
> included) now.  This is because the acquisition methods of a physical
> address which arbitrary virtual addresses point out by Release 3 and
> Release 5 of EPOC32 differ.  And this method is hack-method by arlo
> developers.  About this, I will think more better method.

Could a single binary determine the relevant release and include two
sets of calls, or would it need two different binaries?

> Below sys/arch/epoc32/stand. It is necessary to prepare SDK of EPOC32,
> then to build.  Please give as ARM_EPOC_PE_DIR=~/gcc-3.0-psion-98r2 etc.
> at nbmake instruction execution time.
> The SDK can make refer to 'Symbian SDK on Unix HOWTO'.
>
>   http://www.koeniglich.de/sdk2unix/symbian_sdk_on_unix.html

One thought might be to make a pkgsrc entry for the sdk, and include
the generated EPOC boot binaries as uuencoded in the NetBSD source
tree (I'm assuming NetBSD/epoc32 will be imported? :)

> An problem has incomprehensible stand/e32boot/ldd/ekern.h. :)
> It is the thing written by the person who made the boot loader arlo
> for Linux, and does not understand at all as hack of what it acted what.
> e32boot.exe cannot be built, if it not exist.  Incidentally, this header
> is contained in the source of arlo, and since this is GPL, this header
> is also considered to be GPL.  should I contact so that this file may be
> contributed to this author?

If the author is happy to make it available under GPL and BSD licence
then that would probably be the simplest option. Alternatively I think
that if you described what it did to someone and they wrote a head
file to do the same that should cover it... (first option better :)

> But my SERIES 5mx's (and Revo's) flexible cable crushed. X-<
> This problem is Psion user is knowing?  :)
> I will try to repair it.

Well there is at least one company that says they sell better
replacement cables - http://www.psionflexi.co.uk/ - GBP15, which seems
to be about the 5MX FLEXI price on eBay :/

Again - most wonderful news

Many thanks for this work!

David